Effect of Catechin Isolate From GMB4 Clone Green Tea on Oxidative Stress and Apoptosis in Experimental Cataract
CAHYANA, Nugraha Wahyu
MetadataShow full item record
The purpose of this research is to investigate the effect of catechin Isolate from GMB4 Clone Green Tea on apoptotic cell death andoxidative stress in the lens of rats with cataract. Cataract Isolate From GMB4 Clone Green Tea was induced by intraperitoneal injection of 19 µmol/kg sodium selenite to ten day-old Wistar rats. The neonatal rats were randomly divided into five groups (n=5 in each group): a control group, and four cataractinduction groups, treated with either 0, 50, 100, 200 mg/kg catechin Isolate From GMB4 Clone Green Tea. We performed slit-lamp bio microscopic analysis, level of GSH and GR, terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferasemediated dUTP nick end labeling (TUNEL) assay and immunohistochemistry for caspase-3. Both eyes of all rats in Group 1 did not exhibit cataract formation. In Group 2, one out of five (20%) developed grade 3 cataracts and the remaining four out of five (80%) developed grade 4 cataracts. The diﬀerence in exhibited cataract in the lens of all rats between Group 2 and any eyes of groups 3 or 4 and 5 were significant (P = 0.022, 0,001, 0,001). The grade of cataract formation was decrease in group 3, 4 and 5. The mean GSH and Caspase-3 levels lenses of group II rats were significantly (P < 0.01) lower than the levels in Group I, Group III, Group IV and Group V. Apoptotic cell death and oxidative stress in the lens that increased following cataract formation in rats was suppressed by cathechin Isolate From GMB4 Clone Green Tea.
- LSP-Jurnal Ilmiah Dosen