|dc.description.abstract||This research was descriptive research. It was intended to describe the eighth
grade students’ narrative text writing ability and the students’ ability in each aspect of
writing. It was conducted at SMP Bustanul Makmur Genteng, Banyuwangi chosen by
purposive method. The respondents of this research were taken through proportional
random sampling by lottery as many as 25% from the population. Thus, the number
of the respondents was 30 students taken proportionally from 118 students that were
divided into four classes.
The data of this research were collected by conducting narrative text writing
test. The test was in the form of essay. The students were asked to write a narrative
text that covers three parts, i.e: orientation, complication, and resolution. They were
asked to write at least fifteen (15) sentences in four or five paragraphs. The total
number of the words used by the students were around 150-200 words. The
researcher also gave some clues related to the text.
The result of the students’ narrative text writing test showed that the eighth
grade students’ narrative text writing ability at SMP Bustanul Makmur in general was
categorized as good. The mean score was 78.58, which was higher than the standard
score (75). Based on the students’ standard score, it can be known that there were 17
students (58.62%) achieved the standard score and the other (12 students or 41.38%)
did not achieve the standard score.
Based on the students’ classification score in each aspect of writing, the
eighth grade students’ writing ability in the aspect of grammar belonged to fair
category (M=73.86). The aspect of vocabulary belonged to good category (M=96.72).
In the aspect of organization, the students’ writing ability was in good category
(M=90.14). Besides, the students’ writing ability in the aspect of mechanics was in
fair category (M=38.62). The students’ writing ability in the aspect of content was in
good category (M=93.56).
It can be concluded that the most serious problem of the eighth grade
students’ narrative text writing ability at SMP Bustanul Makmur was mechanics
because the mean score in the aspect mechanics was the lowest than others. The
students’ problem in the aspect of mechanics was because they were lack of
awareness in applying mechanics. The researcher and the English teacher found that
most of them lack of awareness in using capital letter.||en_US